Sunday, 1 June 2008

Recommended

Last week I picked up the DVD for this film:



It was terrific (suspend your disbelief and just go with it). Unfortunately, this is the DVD cover that Dimension Films is going with here in North America:


The cover art is awful and seems to be targeted towards what some cynical execs must think the 20-something set who've made the "Saw" series a hit are looking for. Don't let the cover art fool you. "Inside" is a unique (and obviously very bloody) film.

This weekend I saw this film:



It's the first time I've been scared (in an entertaining way) by a new flick since, I think, "Session 9". Yes, it has a few problems (momentum drags for a few minutes about the 3/4 mark, genre-required tag-on ending), but I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Then I watched:



Unfortunately it was a bad quality grey market DVD-R, but the movie itself was terrific. Though it owed a small debt to "Psycho" (shifting sympathies, and some other aspects I won't get into...), it was still original, atmospheric, creepy, lurid, and surprising. It's amazing that there are still so many genre offerings out there for a life-long horror buff like myself to discover.


3 comments:

Dennis Cozzalio said...

Dave-- I saw The House That Screamed earlier this year on the big screen (!) after having not seen it since I was 13 years old at my local theater. It held up remarkably well and, needless to say, looks great in the original 2.35:1 aspect ratio. (Nice poster art image, by the way!) I also saw The Screamers and I agree-- it was a very effective exercise in suspense and well-earned shocks. I closed my eyes a lot during this picture. I'm not sure it adds up to much, but the getting there is quite impressive!

Chas. said...

Wow! I watched "Inside" this past weekend off your recommendation and really liked it. Totally dark, disturbing and gore, gore, gore!

Dave S said...

dennis, chas.

thanks for your comments, guys. you know, i'd love to see a decent copy of 'the house that screamed'... i can only imagine what seeing it in the theatre would be like. same goes for seeing 'inside' with an audience in a big ol' movie house. at least dvd's (and dvd-r's) give us a chance to see things we'd have a hell of a time trying to track down otherwise.